Go easy on me coach! Starting the new work out


"Go easy on me coach"

These words came out of my mouth!
I can't believe this. As a former fitness trainer (a long time ago) I do have a little pride and couldn't believe I had said this as I was entering the UFC cage area to take a Jui Jitsu class. I wanted to yell out my age as an excuse. I was excited and nervous at the same time. Oh my goodness, what did I get my self into? I was looking at all these other people in the class and then I spotted a woman who looked close to my age and felt a sense of comfort. I told myself if she can be here I can too. The coach could tell I was nervous and he smiled at me and grabbed a very young girl with a blue belt and paired her with me after the instruction. I thought yeah right a 20 year old with a blue belt and a 48 year old with nothing this is going to work out. I laughed to myself and got down on my back in guard position, she sat over me between my knees and grabbed my gi.

Then she said, "Its okay sweetheart lets just go through the moves". Hahaha, Wow! Humbling and calming all at once. This young girl had been in martial arts her whole life and Jui Jitsu for 5 years. An hour later, drenched in sweat and out of breath I slowly exited the class dragging my belt, hair wild left over mascara from the day running down my face, but I did it! She has become my favorite person to pair up with and learn from since then.

That same week I had to do summer-salts and come up on my knees over and over across the floor! Again the age thing, I get dizzy turning in an office chair! Okay I am laughing as I write this because its true. But I did it and was dizzy and happy. A couple months later I am still in Jui Jitsu and that coach is fantastic.

I admit there has been some pain involved but, I have been getting stronger along the way. I have a bad knee which I am able to sit back on again. A back that has gone out a few times but I am strengthening my abs to help compensate. I am not flexible AT ALL! I am working on it and I am loving the confidence I have after each class.

 Plus, I am a big UFC fan!!!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog